UK Government Grants

Home / UK Government Grants

The government of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will provide grants for adaptations to a property and other assistance.  You are also advised to contact your local council to see what support they can offer.

Please take some time to check the eligibility for the grant before you apply.  You should also find out how often you can apply, if this will affect any other benefits you are receiving, and if applying for one of these grants precludes you for applying for further funding for adaptations in the future.

The links take you to external websites.  We have provided these links in good faith.  However, we cannot accept any liability for the content of external websites.

You are strongly advised to check the suitability of these sites before you provide any personal, medical, or financial information.

UK Government Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

* widen doors and install ramps

* improve access to rooms and facilities – eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom

* provide a heating system suitable for your needs

* adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

Click here to learn more:


Foundations is the National Body for Disabled Facilities Grant and Home Improvement Agencies in England.  They are contracted by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities to oversee a national network of nearly 200 home improvement agencies (HIAs) and handyperson providers across the country.

Before commencing any building works, visit their website for specialist advice and guidance.  Most of which is provided free of charge.


Scottish Government: Independent Living Fund

ILF Scotland was established in July 2015 following the UK Government’s closure of the UK ILF, to safeguard the rights of disabled people in Scotland to live independent lives.  The fund enables disabled people with high support needs to choose to live in their communities.

ILF Transition Fund

The ILF Transition Fund is focused on supporting young disabled people, aged between 16 to 25, who are at an important transitional stage in their lives. It aims to promote independence, community participation, social inclusion and confidence amongst young disabled people, improving outcomes to help make a smoother transition from childhood into adulthood.

Find out more at: ILF Scotland

Shelter: Cymru

If you have a disability and cannot get around your property, or use all the facilities, it may be possible to get adaptations carried out to make your home more suitable for you.

Whether you rent or own your own home, you might be able to get help for any adaptations through the ENABLE – Support for Independent Living scheme, supported by the Welsh Government.


Housing Executive Northern Ireland

They provide a Disabled Facilities Grant to adapt the home of a person with a disability.  An Occupational Therapist must recommend the work.

Based on an Occupational Therapist’s report, they will determine:

* what work you need to carry out; and

* the amount of grant aid we will award

Find out more: Housing Executive Northern Ireland